- Learn at your own pace.
- Enroll at any time.
- You can complete your courses as fast as necessary but generally completion is within 4 to 5 months.
- You must have earned a bachelor’s degree if registering for credit.
Many students using augmentative and alternative communication devices in general and special education classrooms are not working up to their academic potential, despite having access to superior technology. In this course, teachers will learn how to assess the needs of their students using AAC and how best to translate use of this technology into academic success, regardless of cognitive ability. Teachers will learn how to adapt the general curriculum and bring students beyond emergent literacy skills to their functional use in the classroom. Specific technology applications, such as word prediction software, communication boards, and speech generating devices and how they can best be used to improve academic success will also be discussed.
- Adapt the general curriculum for students using AAC.
- Promote the development of positive social relationships between peers and students who use AAC.
- Develop IEP based on the student’s literacy, language and communication goals.
- Support student’s successful use of a variety of AAC technologies.
- Promote movement beyond emergent literacy to functional literacy skills.
- Determine students’ continuing needs of through ongoing reading, writing and language assessments.
- Collaborate with professionals to improve academic and social outcomes for their students who use AAC.
Step 1 - Choose your credit type:
a) Graduate level PDE credit (University of North Dakota) cannot be used for master/degree programs of study.
b) Noncredit/CEUs provides a record of completion (CEA)
Step 2 - Choose appropriate registration button below.
RELEVANT. CONVENIENT. AFFORDABLE.
Online Graduate Professional Development &
Continuing Education Credit Courses for Teachers
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after registering for the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided. Please e-mail EA at email@example.com to request to cancel your completed registration.