- Learn at your own pace.
- Enroll at any time.
- Completion time frames vary for courses listed, but most take 3 or 4 months to complete.
- You must have earned a bachelor’s degree if registering for credit.
This course provides a framework of information and turnkey program resources to build community within the school through social participation sport, recreation, service learning and employment practice for students with intellectual and or developmental disabilities. Topics include the science of socialization, tips for developing likability, principles for belonging, integration, inclusive design and advocacy strategies.
Individuals in this course will:
- Identify the principal values and attitudes that serve as the foundation of community- within your school.
- Describe the current research supporting the lifelong importance of social connection and community involvement.
- Develop skills in teaching and modeling the behaviors required for social likability.
- Explore and implement new strategies for universal inclusive design within your school community.
- Describe the legal and ethical issues that seclusion and isolation from community that often times confront individuals with developmental and or intellectual disabilities and the professionals who work with them.
- Identify the supports and services that your individuals with developmental and or intellectual disabilities need to learn, work, and play within the school community.
- Explain the key characteristics of Person-Centered Planning and how it is used to promote student empowerment within the school community.
- Obtain advocacy support information for building community within school.
- Design a turnkey community building practice that you can implement and sustain in your school.
Step 1 - Choose your credit type:
a) Graduate level PDE credit (University of North Dakota) cannot be used for master/degree programs of study.
b) Noncredit/CEUs provides a record of completion (CEA)
Step 2 - Choose appropriate registration button below.
RELEVANT. CONVENIENT. AFFORDABLE.
Online Graduate Professional Development &
Continuing Education Credit Courses for Teachers
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after registering for the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided. Please e-mail EA at email@example.com to request to cancel your completed registration.