- Learn at your own pace.
- Enroll at any time.
- Completion time frames vary for courses listed, but most take 3 or 4 months to complete.
- You must have earned a bachelor’s degree if registering for credit.
Better Conversations: Coaching Ourselves and Each Other to Be More Credible, Caring, and Connected is a practical book with clear steps to the better conversations necessary for students’ academic and social-emotional growth, as well as for our own well-being as educators. “Communication is at the heart of everything educators do,” as Jim writes. And, “Our schools are only as good as the conversations within them.”
At the end of this course, you should be able to accomplish the following objectives:
- Explore the power of explicit and tacit knowledge in learning the beliefs and habits needed to be authentic communicators.
- Analyze the 6 beliefs that are foundational to the Better Conversation approach to interaction, consider current personal beliefs about interactions with others, and determine what beliefs will be personally chosen to act on in future conversations.
- Identify ways to demonstrate and listen with empathy, and then reflect on our implementation of these habits.
- Practice the habit of fostering dialogue, a learning conversation, balancing advocacy, and inquiry to achieve mutual understanding and to explore multiple possibilities.
- Establish the habit of asking better, effective questions in conversations.
- Implement the habits of recognizing opportunities to make emotional connections with others and to share positive information about others.
- Employ strategies to commit to the habit of finding common ground with others.
- Apply the habits of controlling toxic emotions and redirecting toxic conversations in our interactions with others.
- Build trust by demonstrating character, reliability, competence, warmth, and stewardship.
Step 1 - Choose your credit type:
a) Graduate-level PDE credit (University of North Dakota) cannot be used for master/degree programs of study.
b) Noncredit/CEUs provides a record of completion (CEA)
Step 2 - Choose appropriate registration button below.
RELEVANT. CONVENIENT. AFFORDABLE.
Online Graduate Professional Development &
Continuing Education Credit Courses for Teachers
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after registering for the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided. Please e-mail EA at firstname.lastname@example.org to request to cancel your completed registration.