- Learn at your own pace.
- Enroll at any time.
- Completion time frames vary for courses listed, bust most take 3 or 4 months to complete.
- You must have earned a bachelor’s degree if registering for credit.
It is vitally important for teachers to be aware of how autism is for their students. The autism world can be a sensory minefield for students and the school environment needs to be designed where it creates a secure space that is conducive to learning.
Children who have autism have different learning styles and as educators we need to be aware of how to cater to the various styles to develop the best strategies to teach them.
- To develop strategies for behavior meltdowns due to sensory overload.
- Understand what the term ‘diffable’ means and what appropriate language is when dealing with your students who have autism.
- Learn what Sensory Issues are and how this affects your students.
- To learn about the two additional senses; the vestibular and proprioception.
- To gain awareness of the difference between hypersensitivity and hyposensitivity.
- To understand the difference between a sensory meltdown and a behavior meltdown and what strategy to apply to each situation.
- How to develop a sensory program for the individual student.
- To gain understanding as to why Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences are important when looking at the autism student’s learning styles.
- To understand that the world needs different types of brains.
- To gain an understanding of strategies to improve students’ outcomes in the classroom.
- To gain knowledge about group work and how to improve outcomes.
- To learn why mobile technology is so valuable in the differentiated classroom.
- To learn about differentiated learning the IEPs.
- Learn how to create and implement strategies into daily classroom lessons, to include the use of visual resources.
- To have a look at the future of autism education.
Step 1 - Choose your credit type:
a) The ED 500 course number is for post-baccalaureate nondegree graduate-level professional development credit study at CSU-Pueblo. The 500-course numbers ARE NOT eligible to be used on programs of study.
b) Noncredit/CEUs provides a record of completion (CEA)
Step 2 - Choose appropriate registration button below.
RELEVANT. CONVENIENT. AFFORDABLE.
Online Graduate Professional Development &
Continuing Education Credit Courses for Teachers
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after registering for the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided. Please e-mail EA at firstname.lastname@example.org to request to cancel your completed registration.